Sunday 26 June 2011

I am in love with a horse



I am in love with a horse 


He is my best friend 


I bring him flowers on a sunny day as a sign of my love 


I present him with a delicate bouquet


So that he may smell the beautiful perfumes 


He casts his eyes down


Opens his mouth wide and chews them calmly.


Then he snorts 


Flicks his tail slightly 


And wanders away 







                             *    *   *   * 





Sawnee

Sweet memory unfolding 

Here we are now in my mind
In the rose garden together
Like an ornamental memory
There I lay down beside you
Your sweet curvaceousness showing just beneath the pristine white of your shirt

The night we first met
Walking together in the cool Atlantic night air
After your shift at the restaurant
Your confessional question
Do you think my shirt is see through ? Oh my god.
I remember my shy smile and almost muted response

Later I was afraid to admit
But could not hide beneath your disarming curiosity
What? What is it?
I just want to kiss you
You smiled within the candle lit halo in the cosy cafe
That's OK.

So here we are now
Children of nature
On the grass
Feeling so natural
Suddenly the sun is darkened
A council gardner stands over us, wielding his fearsome protocol
We are banished from the grass

Can we not feel this warm embrace ?
Dreaming of crickets and the hissing of Summer lawns

So many miles in that country I wandered
Sticking my thumb out
Putting my heart on the line
Threading miles coast to coast
Yet tied up in knots
This story still singing in my head like a fugue

You would go all the way down to central America
Giving everything to the poor kids
Leaving the orphanage with nothing in your pocket
Then hitching all the way north
Through the guts of Uncle Sam
Back home to Canada
On angels' wings of sacred trust
Your faith, nearly innocent, carrying you safely to your door 
 


 
                             *    *   *   * 







I thought I was strong

But I'm just a sensitive flop !

Running into the sun

Limping like a pirate

A little voice inside me hums and grinds...



Rising from surreal slumber this morning

I sat poised at a terminal

Momentarily inert like a gas

Eyes hovering forward

Umbilical cord to my desktop screen



I could not find that piece I wanted

Printed nice and neatly on white recycled office paper

Maybe scrunched up somewhere in my mind now

I see volumes of flaming paperwork

Like bushfire leaves blowing out of concrete windows

A tribute to one of the biggest idiots I've ever

worked with Not yet escaped it seems The asylum

The system pays me to an extent despite its kharmic deficit

I sometimes stand around in exotic fantasies

Until I look down at the ground around me 
 
Sometimes I write something nice

I could write something nice

Whatcha wanna hear

might burn your ears

Shakespeare being mauled by a dog




1 comment:

  1. I watched you read sensitive flop on the PPC livescreen. Don't stop writing.

    ReplyDelete